Thursday, September 07, 2006

Childrens Wisdom 5

Children’s Wisdom - A Super Talker A Grandmother’s Memories
One of the advantages of Seniorhood is the vivid memories of the past. My Super Talker was alive before my very eyes. I had some preparation for this in my Child Development Course in College. Our professor told us that girls were mouth and boys were muscle. Judy was proof of this. She was extremely interested in learning to talk. We had a picture book which we looked at together. She would try the words for animals, birds, and flowers. She called horses “hoies”. One day when we were riding she saw a horse in the field and with great delight . "Hoiy, hoiy” A year later she was talking a blue streak. She would ask questions and get answers. When I read to her, she did most of the talking about the story. I always asked her questions about the story. She would always tell me much more than I asked for, but I enjoyed listening to her. There were few quiet moments at our house. One day at dinner time Dad and Mom and her two year old brother were eating our meal. For some reason there was a deathly silence. Judy spoke out : ”Sounds like we’re not here.” I remember that moment with smiles. Noise, indeed, was her motto. Her Dad was not a very good listener. She would go and knock on his newspaper which hid his eyes. He always answered her knock, something he wouldn’t do for me. At children’s time at church naturally she was one of the talkers. She spoke out at least once during each session. In Kindergarten she had to sit and say nothing for five minutes. There were quite a number of times of this, but when she got home she made up for lost time. These ‘sit times’ did not change her. She was the top talker in every grade in school. Judy is married now and has a three year old daughter just like her. When they visit us, there is no shortage of conversation. I asked Judy’s husband how on earth could he ever make love to her. There is a way he said as he put his hand over her mouth and moved close to her lips quickly. He added “I have to do a lot of kissing to protect my eardrums.” I have noticed in the Senior world we still have some Super Talkers. I appreciate them. They are the life of the party as Judy was through the years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home