Thursday, September 07, 2006

Childrens Wisdom 2

Children’s Wisdom - Love From The HeartFrom A Bridge Playing Dad
Here is bit of wisdom from my four year old daughter. Once a month the Woman’s Club held their meeting. On this evening the Dads got together for a Bridge Game. This time it was at my house. I had already put the baby to bed, but Mary Ann was still up. This was her privilege as a “big girl”. She had her toys to play with and sat at a little desk where she did her coloring. She would wander around some to see what was going on. She got a peep at my hand and spoke out in an excited voice: “Daddy, you’ve got a lot of “Valentines.” This brought a smile from the players, especially from my opponent who had bid four hearts. Even though he knew where the hearts were, there was no way he could make his bid. Mary Ann went back to her desk and was occupied for a long time. After a while she got up with some papers in her hand and came back to the Bridge Table. She had drawn and colored some hearts. They were surprisingly different for a little girl’s art. Each of the players got one, but mine had several hearts like she had seen in my Bridge Hand. She gave each player a heart and a hug went with it. Mary Ann was fascinated with hearts, “valentines” she called them. They were used any time of year and given to other children and especially our adult neighbors. The hug always went with them. I learned also that she was not race-bound. We had a servant to clean the house once a week. Stella very proudly showed me her heart from Mary Ann. I let her play with a pack of Bridge Cards. She really enjoyed picking out the heart cards. She had learned to count to five by using her fingers. I had to explain the face cards.Even though this happened many years ago, my daughter had a permanent influence on my life and its relationships. I have tried through the years to be warm and friendly to all the people I meet in my work, in the Super Market and even in the parking lot. “Thank you’s” and words of appreciation were much more frequent because of Mary Ann’s example. There were not many hearts and hugs but lots of handshakes.
2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home