Thursday, September 07, 2006

Childrens Wisdom 4

Children’s Wisdom - "I’m Gonna Get That Hurt" From A Senior Citizen
When I was little in the twenties, it was customary in the South to have servants. My mother had a person to do the cooking and cleaning. There was another person to do the laundry. (no Washing Machines then) There was a third person to look after the three year old boy. Sadie was not a Baby-sitter. She did everything, gave me a bath, dressed me, and played with me. I have vivid memories of her getting down on her hands and knees chasing me. When I rode on her shoulders, it was no walking around. She bucked and jumped. The thing I remember most was what she did when I hurt myself. She ran over where I was crying reached out with her hand rubbing the bruised spot: “I’m gonna get that hurt.” She would close her hand: “I’ve got it.” Then she would throw the “hurt” away. She would pick me up or give me a hug. Of course, with a three year old child this happens several times a day. One day I was playing with a dog. He bit me on the leg with teeth marks and blood. Sadie ran over to get that hurt, but this time she was crying with me. She rushed into the house to tell my mother. Of course, we had to go to the doctor to dress the wound and get a shot. Shots were given in the rump. As I yelled with pain Sadie reached over, squeezed my rump: “ I’m gonna get that hurt.” I don’t know what the doctor thought about all of this, especially when I stopped crying. I learned in College that Sadie had given me a “conditioned response”. She had done it so much that the pain nerves temporarily quit firing. When I had surgery, I was given a pain killer, but I tried my conditioned response in my memory. I was surprised that it worked. Of course it had to be repeated. When I was a teenager, we were living in Virginia. My father died suddenly, and we had to take his body back to Alabama by train. I saw Sadie when we got off the train. It was a moving scene. She hugged me and really got a big hurt. I want to suggest to modern parents that they deal with their children’s pain in the same way every time.When you hug and hold the child, say something like “pain, pain go away.” This will be helpful when the child needs it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home