Thursday, September 07, 2006

Childrens Wisdom 3

Children’s Wisdom - Our Little Recording Machine From A Smart Dad
We were out walking in the neighborhood with our daughter, Melissa, and her little brother Pete being pushed in a stroller. We met two couples without their children and proceeded to walk with them. Soon the wives were walking behind with Melissa, and the husbands went on ahead. It was not long before Melissa came running to walk with us. She said to Daddy: “They’re talking she-crets.” I knew exactly why my wife had sent Melissa to us because she listens to everything like a recording machine. "What’s a shecret?" she asked. I explained what a secret was. “Is jackass a shecret?” This was no doubt one she had just picked up from the wives conversation. I had not heard it before. All the men chuckled as I answered yes. She picks up on good words too, especially if she hasn’t heard them. She learned “Honey” long ago and uses it with everyone. She uses it the right way. She never uses it with her little brother Pete. She understands that it is a nice word. She picked up darling as well as stupid fool. Even though she does not understand the full meaning, she knows the difference between and nice word and an ugly word. She has already learned the emotion attached to them. She wanted to know about my “homework”, used by my wife for our most intimate get-togethers. One evening I thought I heard Melissa use the F word. I had used it only in my teen years, but in a fit of anger it had slipped out a few days ago. I explained to Melissa that this was an ugly word which people say when they get mad. A few days later when I was keeping the children, little Pete was crawling around and getting into Melissa's things. She pushed him away with her hand using the F word real loud. I was so alarmed that I got down on my knees pleading with her to try not to use ugly words. In sharing this with my wife, we agreed to try to clean up our language. It seems that Melissa makes a real effort to listen in on our conversations. She can usually tell if its a he-cret or a she-cret. She likes listening to both Mama’s words and Daddy’s. Melissa has really helped us to see ourselves. It’s really difficult, but we are trying to use better words. Adult language is taboo when you have a recording machine around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home